Canaan Township, Missouri
Canaan is located on Highway 28 about three miles west of Owensville. Construction of the railroad in 1902 impacted the community with holding pens for cattle, commerce, and depot for freight until mid century. History of Canaan can be traced to prior to the Civil War. Actually the second post office in the county, Delphi, was transferred to Canaan about 1860. Delphi was located south of Canaan and on an old road from Steelville to Mt. Sterling, found on old maps, but nothing remains.
Other historically significant facts include the founding of Liberty Baptist Church by early English speaking pioneers about 1829 and lying along the trail blazed by Moses Austin prior to statehood. A Civil War recruiting camp was located in Canaan, so that many Union recruits are listed as being from Canaan. This was not necessarily their home, rather the area recruiting camp.