“Swiss is a small village about ten miles south of Hermann. It was so named because the inhabitants were mostly from Switzerland. The first residence was built by H. F. Brinkmann; it was a two-story frame 18 x 30 feet, and built in 1881. Mr. Brinkmann was the first merchant; the first blacksmith was S. A. Schmidt, and the first shoemaker, Fred Schoening, Sr. The population of Swiss now consisits of five families.” (Goodspeed’s History 1888) St. John’s congregation was organized in 1867 a mile north of Swiss. In 1888 the present church building was erected in Swiss. Students from several one room schools in the area were combined and the first six grades were held in a new brick building at Swiss as a part of the Gasconade County R1 (Hermann) District. This, too, has been closed with all students in this area going to Hermann for all grades.
The main business in Swiss is the “Swiss Meat and Sausage” processing plant known for its bratwursts and other sausages.